Saturday, October 17, 2009

wine and chocolate

We have a guest from France. He showered us with wine and chocolate. I think both are on my healthy living way of life list. Fresh bread, jam, fruit with coffee and Mexican hot chocolate for breakfast.

I made a pretty good soup last night. I cooked down an organic chicken with carrots, garlic and bay leaf. I cleaned the chicken off the bone and strained the broth. I made a side soup of broth, chicken and soft carrots for the kids. I boiled sweet potatoes with the rest of the broth and added the soft garlic and a chipotle pepper. I boiled until super soft and blended it smooth. I added the chopped chicken and finely chopped kale. A fair amount of work but I have some great leftovers. I also made bread. I try to make whole wheat bread but I got 40lbs of white organic flour, so it was mostly white. I don't think yeasted white bread is so good for me but my family loves it.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am totally in awe that you had the energy and talent to make that soup.

    All that stuff sounds pretty healthy to me, except maybe the white bread (I don't know if there's a different between regular white bread and yeasted white bread though?).

    I agree that small amounts of wine and dark chocolate are good for you.

    Sadly, I don't like either. Give me a Coke and a Snickers, please. Gah!

    ReplyDelete