Monday, June 15, 2009

I mentioned before that I'm on a fiber kick right now, trying to put a lot more of it into our meals. We already eat fairly healthy most days, but we eat too much, so I'm trying to put less fat and more fiber on the plate, meaning we're fuller faster and for longer. Here are some fiber-y things I really like that make it easy to add some to most meals: whole wheat couscous (in bulk at our HEB, which is the Pflugerville HEB, so it ain't fancy; plus couscous cooks in 5 mins.), Barilla Pasta Plus (much tastier than whole wheat pastas and has more protien), and quinoa (if you've never tried it, start with this recipe: http://www.livemom.com/2009/05/14/thursdays-dish-moms-quinoa-salad/ -- I swear you'll love it).

Also, I've been trying to eat more nuts, especially almonds, and more avocados. I know, lots of fat, but apparently our bodies use non-meat fats a lot more quickly/easily than those from meat and dairy. And by more, I mean a couple of handfuls of nuts in the afternoon and a half an avocado on a sandwich. Both are great because they have fat and fiber, so they're very filling.

I'm looking for a really good recipe for All-Bran muffins.
I was shocked that the recipe is no longer on the cereal box. I tried one I found online, and it was okay, but not how I remember them from years ago. In the new ones, the All-Bran sort of stayed in its stick shape inside the muffin, which I found slightly creepy. In the old ones, I think I remember that you soaked the All-Bran in milk or something before adding it to the batter ... anyone?

Food addiction ... compulsive overeating ... body image issues ... yes, I totally relate to all of that. It really defined my life for many years, and I still struggle with parts of it, but I feel like I've overcome some facets of it. It took a lot of conscious work, maybe not as much as my friends who've had substance abuse issues, but it still took work. I recommended Overcoming Overeating before, and will again. I also saw an Austin therapist, Susan Bushong, who is now at this practice: http://www.nvgroup.com/home.html (there's an Eating Disorders link there).

I also had to forgive myself, and still do, for ... I don't know ... being me. Being imperfect. I had to stop the internal bashing and be kinder to myself. I made myself so unhappy focusing on all the things I wasn't (specifically thin). I had been overweight all my life, and finally realized that I could be fat and unhappy, or I could be fat and happy. I made a conscious decision to be happy with my very imperfect self, and it pretty much changed my life. I know this sounds all Oprah-y, and it was a very messy process involving divorce, a move and other life changes, but I believe my current happiness and the end of my compulsive overeating began when I made that decision. I still clean my plate at times, but I don't have that out-of-control feeling any more.

Now that I'm a parent, I want to be happy AND healthy, so I can be around and well for my child, and that's motivating me to exercise more and seek ways to eat healthier without making me and my family feel deprived.


2 comments:

  1. i love quinoa
    AND I can eat it (gluten free)
    so the fam can do spaghetti and I can too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You are light years ahead of me. Bravo to you, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete