Saturday, June 13, 2009

the perils of babysitting

So tonight I'm babysitting for a family that has the most glorious pantry ever. Or at least when I'm not paying attention to my eating it is. It has all sorts of chips and cookies and crackers. There is always a bucket full of roasted cashews too. Oh and the fridge is full of cheese and olives and leftover lasagna. And there is a separate fridge in the garage that has soda. Sure, the pay is awesome, but honestly I go for the food. It's like a vacation to the junk food spa! They have great magazines there too. So I put the kids to bed, put my feet up on the couch, read magazines, and eat my heart out for a couple hours.

As you can see, I need a game plan for tonight. I'm thinking I'll eat a healthy dinner beforehand and pack some fruit and popcorn to take along. I will decide on one pantry splurge when I am there and will have ONE portion.

Wish me luck.

Wait, I don't need luck. I can do this dammit.

3 comments:

  1. oh god, if that's junk food then our house is in trouble. how about going there with a simple piece of paper that has 3 lines on it. you can eat ONE piece of whatever you like: ONE chip, ONE olive, ONE whatever. and that's it. mission complete and you continue to eat the healthy stuff you brought. or do the old-school baton trick when eating the junk: scoop of banana, chocolate, scoop of banana chocolate and alternate a bite of something healthy with a bite of junk. (please tell me someone out there did the banana-chocolate thing out there with their batons when making figure 8s). another trick i learned is to chew something 100 times. a single bite one hundres times and you REALLY get to see what something tastes like, even your favorite stuff is blech after 100 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that the stuff at other people's houses always tastes so much better than the stuff at mine?

    Probably because they buy all that stuff that I resist at the store!

    Have a great vacation tonight. And your plan sounds great. Having a plan at all is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a great plan and attitude! And yeah, if that's junk food, I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete