Tuesday, June 16, 2009

what i've learned

juicing makes me feel satisfied
my body craves raw food and in the case of fruits and vegetables, it's definitely better for you
steam 'em maybe but defintely DON'T nuke em...we got rid of our microwave 3 months ago (and our 14 year old JUST noticed a week or 2 ago)
When you do things your kids wanna do instead of what you THINK your kids wanna do, you have to remember you're doing it for THEM
When you remember why you're doing it, you wanna do it too...and it feels good

Fingers in the dirt feels good
watching lil sprouts reach for the sun feels even better (look closely in front of the aloe, those are our new strawberries)

7 nights in a row doesn't have to mean nights
I'm learning that we're probably not a nights-all-the-time kinda couple
actually...we're probably more afternoon-before-dinner kinda folks
it may be different if the hub were in on it...but for now he's not
maybe next month ;)

I am more than how I look in a bathing suit...but the apprehension around who I am in a bathing suit can still wither me away to nothing

Today I went from EVERYTHING to NOTHING in a matter of minutes
After a glorious morning planting our strawberries, bananas and our olive tree (which is currently a twig but has big aspirations)...feeling so very good, sharing time in the dirt with my hub (no that wasn't one of the seven) and BOTH of us sharing a sense of accomplishment in creating a nourishing home for our family ... absolutely glowing.
Then our afternoon plans changed
we aren't going canoeing (is there an e in that word?) we're just gonna go swimming at the springs
But but but
when we canoe I can wear my capris
when we swim, i can't
i don't have any shorts that fit that are conducive to swimming
my hub's board shorts are a tad too big
and i crumbled
i shrank so deep inside myself, hiding behind my heart chakra, I nearly cried
i sucked it up and went to the springs
had a too-close-encounter with a water moccasin
hated the feel of my thighs rubbing together as we walked to the top of the tubing run

then remembered why i was there
i was there to share time with my fam
my kids wanted to go, were digging for sharks teeth, were having fun
so i flipped the script...at which point my son pointed out...have you looked at everyone else around? He wasn't being derogatory to anyone, he was just pointing out that my measuring stick might be a bit skewed...and I actually looked better than the majority
he deserved a big ol hug for that
then I soaked in the sun, admired the ferns, felt the cool spring water run over my toes, and got bitten by a horse fly...being present is a cool thing

i have broken one rule and i have stepped on the scale
the numbers have not moved (which is neither positive nor negative)
but it doesn't really matter because my life is healthier for following the rest of my rules

hope everyone had a glorious Tuesday

5 comments:

  1. "i have broken one rule and i have stepped on the scale
    the numbers have not moved (which is neither positive nor negative)
    but it doesn't really matter because my life is healthier for following the rest of my rules"

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...at which point my son pointed out...have you looked at everyone else around?" Hubby says this to me all the time, too.

    I had that little a-ha moment yesterday, too, while in line at the post office. A quite larger woman than me (quite!) was in shorts and I thought, "Sweet Christ, if SHE is willing to wear shorts why aren't I?" But then I realized that I'm not in her body, I'm in MINE and it doesn't matter what anyone else wears because I am not comfortable in shorts. So I really got no where with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAIT...
    you did get somewhere with that one
    you respected and validated your own feelings of not being comfortable in shorts
    you decided it wasn't important what someone else could do...it's important how you feel about what YOU do regardless of what someone else does
    BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah but it's hot as HELL in capri jeans. i can't bring myself to wear the thinner material capris because it shows the cottage cheese on my ass. at least the demin is thick enough to not mold to the cheese. not that i care so much about having cottage cheese on my ass but i do care that it looks lumpy in certain fabrics. having quite the "beat myself up, can't i just go home???" kind of day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wear long shirts to cover up the ass cheese?

    ReplyDelete